Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Just because you're not sick doesn't mean you're healthy........








The one thing I didn't pack that I should have!





Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between People and the universe.................




Sun glowing...day bright. Up...coffee...beach and Ocean. Wonderful! Even take a mango and experience eating it in the ocean as I have heard others do. All great! Swim around for awhile and then back to beach and towel. Lie down...and the world spins sickeningly.....I open my eyes and the sky is spinning, and I am so nauseous...can't move. Scared. Never felt anything like this before. Close my eyes and just breath in and out slowly...open eyes and still see twirling sky. Waited for a few more minutes and slowly sat up with eyes closed...lots of nausea...but world spun less...Made my way carefully back to hotel and room. Sat down on my bed...wet hair, swimsuit and all.. Inched my way down on  the bed. Eventually horizontal.. Fell asleep. When I woke felt much better and the world had stopped spinning.  It is raining though, and this time I am grateful. Thank You. Whatever plans I had for the day...Cancelled. Its a day of rest....sleep, read and watch the waves hit the beach. Tomorrow hopefully will be a much better one.




Monday's weather is what I have come to expect here...HOT with blazing Sun alternating with pouring rain.  The really great part? I feel wonderful. Any illness I may have had is totally gone. All systems go. Going to go the see the Bands Jump with Bobbi. This is an all day affair. Seems that much of the population of the Island will be taking part. First though.....Meet for breakfast. Service is extremely slow..eventually we are told that most of the staff has not come to work. They are taking part in the festivities in town. Breakfast down we look outside..

Sheets of rain...even though I half expected it..Think we will wait a bit. Conversation covers many topics and happy chatter is continuous.

When the rains lessens we make a dash to the car. We were mistaken the rains have come to join the parade of bands. It will be here all day and will be joined by its pals thunder and lightning on and off as the day passes. Parking is eventually found on the sidewalk.





Empty Streets Leading to:


Love a Man in Uniform











We are off the road and on the street.As we walk toward the action the music gets louder and puts us in the correct frame of mind for the day. Make our way to a vantage point where short people(me) can see and take photos. Find some friends and make others along the way. When the band trucks go by the pounding rhythm reverberates in my chest...feel like I am becoming part of the music. Intoxicating feeling!




Pomegranate




There are Pomegranate trees all over. Tons of fruit. Told Bajans don't eat them!! Why not? Can't reach any or I would have had my hands full.  Many of the bands have hundreds of people who are "jumping". Costumes seem to be made mainly of feathers and bikinis for the women....the men....very little of feathers for most...some paint or jewels on face and/or body.....and whatever they usually wear. Every band has a truck...every truck has loads of liquid refreshment for the bands...much alcohol  has been and is being consumed by both the bands and the bystanders. Theme of the day might be "Lose Yourself and Have Fun"!. At least so it appears.


Of course as we were having fun the rains came..along with lots of lightening and thunder. In about 2 minutes all were soaked to the skin. I was no longer having fun, neither was Bobbi. So, back to the car we headed. But, there were many more folks than when we arrived and it took close to an hour to make the return journey. Wet? Were we wet? Dripping! Made puddles in the car!! So what to do now? Go home and get dry? No way!

Off to Lime at Garry's Rum Punch Bar. Have to try his Mango Rum Punch! I know we are there 'cause cars line the street around it. The pounding rain continues and the walk from the car to the overhang protecting the patrons from the wet takes less than 30 seconds....just enough time to start dripping again. Great party occurring here. Find out latter that it has been going on since about 9am. Get some of the punch. secure seating and feel like I am home. Food gets ordered..Wayne arrives and the party continues. Even though I am soaked I am enjoying every minute!


Such is the magic of Barbados for me. Don't feel like stranger. Any of my awkwardness passed quickly the first day or two. Mostly  because norms of life here are somewhat different here . It was easy to adjust. Just don't ask me to drive! Safer for all concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment