Saturday, August 6, 2011

Summertime and the living is easy.............



Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living...


OK now, my vacation is down to the wire. Sun out and so am I beach, pool, beach, pool. Find some Sun and then lots of shade!. Best day so far!







Starting to transition though. Back to reality. It is not a comfortable change for me. This time in Barbados has brought me many interesting and perhaps permanent insights and even change. Think that because my time here was spent wholly with Bajans my view was less of a vacationer than usually expected. Went to a wedding of two people I hadn't known 72 hours before.






Had the joy of watching them exchange their old selves for their new ones. That in itself is a synopsis for the kind of amazing experiences I have had here.





So, these are my observations. Firstly even though English is the national language, there is a dialect and speech pattern spoken by just about every native Bajan  that has for most of the time left me to ponder what was being said. Usually when  they realized that I am clueless, the switch to something I could understand was made. Everything is written in English thankfully. Found much to love here.People, festivals, music, Soca, food, the total beauty that met my eyes at every turn. Amazing place...Life seems to be lived in a simpler but very profound way by most. Bajans are unfailing polite, many were reserved at first, but also friendly and helpful. Smiles are not hard to come by. Life is slower and less regimented....not exactly "Manana"...more like "at some point". Seems people here understand that days should have joy in it. Life isn't so different from NYC  here...though  in some ways much harder. Food is ridiculously expensive, and harder to come by. I say that as a Manhattan dweller. Even large modern Super Markets have shortages. People here cope. That is the word. They don't have a meltdown.  There is a  sense of community that can be wonderful or intrusive. Bajans OWN Barbados in their every fiber. That ownership is tangible and fully developed; whether it is whose song and performance should win Soca or where to find the best Souse. Everyone not only has a strong opinion, and will defend it ably.

The newspapers are read by most of the population daily, and I mean from front to back cover, not just the headlines and the ball scores. There are several and while people have their favorite they also read the "other" paper to know how the news is being framed by that one too.The population knows what is going on and are up to date on much of the  international issues too. The other trait I noticed, is the patience displayed.


Roundabout




Hardly a honked horn in 3 weeks. Very few traffic lights. Cars actually stop so pedestrians can cross or a car can turn onto a street. There are these amazing road devices called roundabouts. Cars are going in 6 different directions at the same time...with courtesy all get through easily. Don't think this would be a doable thing in NY. Public buses and vans cost $1US and they run throughout the country, and will actually wait for you to cross over to board or get the rest of the way to the stop. Especially when it was raining this was very welcome. Drawback is that all transport but taxis cease at midnight. Taxis are VERY expensive. There are not meters or route map prices. I found it best to ask at my hotel what fares should be and to establish that before I got into the taxi. Also need to understand that Barbados money is called dollar. Understand that...US money is readily taken. Make sure you do the math. its $1.98 Bajan for $1.00USD. Most retailers have calculators at the register and taxis will give you $2BD for $1USD

Then there is the unimaginable beauty here. Everywhere you turn the vistas are breathtaking. Its so common place that some don't see it. Perhaps much the way I don't look up at the skyscrapers where I live.








One scene after another:





Seems a shame to blink and miss something.....






Everywhere you look:



Three steps from a busy traffic hub




Went to Nature Sanctuary. Main area is closed but the grounds and water areas are beautifully maintained. Was a lovely interlude just steps from my hotel.





These are just examples. Perhaps not even the best ones. As small as Barbados is I did not see all of it. In fact probably very little, but all that I did see made a great impression on on me. Made me want to see more and spend more of my life there. Perhaps even get a tan...





Very happy Barbados was the place I chose for my vacation....Was a really stress-less way to spend my days and nights. I thank all the people of Barbados who made me feel welcome, special, and loved....Totally reciprocal...

No comments:

Post a Comment