Thursday, August 11, 2011

No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until she comes home and rests her head on her old, familiar pillow

I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within..................








 Have been home for a few days and have gone back to my life here ....work, commitments,  committees, friends, stress, et al. Sitting on my patio now as Sun is setting. There is a  cool breeze blowing,and am hearing, smelling, living in NYC. Enjoying the moment.  Just finished downloading lots of photos from my vacation in Barbados. Lots of smiles crossing my face as I look  and re-see the scenes that are very alive in my mind.   


Back in NYC

So where do I go from here? Is where I want to be? Have there been any life lessons learned during my time away and enjoying life in a less chaotic place? If so...what? That is the real question and perhaps why vacations are so very important. No big decisions, at least not yet..but lots of thoughts floating around my mind.





Lessons about how to enjoy life even if there are stresses and difficulties in just living day to day. Taking hot and crowded public transportation happens everywhere. Seemed that just relaxing and letting the miles pass,  catching a breeze as I might was OK while away...Could be the same in NYC, where for the most part, air conditioning in Summer, and heating in Winter are not unusual. Drivers on buses here would never allow the overcrowding that seemed to happen while on Barbados. Never heard a complaint though, so, again...why not enjoy the ride here?    



Crowded super markets? Maybe. Seemed much the same in the markets in many places I have visited in my life. Difference in prices and diversity of food? Still the shopping carts in the big stores are filled with many of the same items. Yes. Manhattan is way less expensive with quantity and quality of most items going to NYC too. Especially now with gigantic markets springing up in many neighborhoods in the city. But, nowhere in NYC are your packages taken out to a van waiting to take you to your home or hotel with no charge. I asked many times how are Bajans able to afford to buy food. The answer......."We do". Simple and direct. Needs must. We all have heard and read that statement. Needs must....Do and with that attitude... can do. I am sure it is hard for some but I complain more that my coffee at Starbucks is not exactly as I want it without a doubt.  






Beauty of County. Barbados is gorgeous. I have shown some photos. Being there is so much better. At times almost surreal.  Where the sky meets the sea and the waves and the Sun dance together in the Ocean.Crane beach amazing...



Bathsheba


Bathsheba....so much beauty that it hurt my eyes to try and take it all in. Want to go back and be on that beach., just let the days pass as they will. Know I will do that. No doubt at all. So much beauty. Lush and real....no gardener has been at work here since the Original One. 



Crane Beach



People. Are. Happy, sad, nice, not, I had the great fortune to meet lots of Bajans. This is what I have to say about them. Very much friendly, helpful, caring, generous of their time and spirit. Great sense of humor and caring in so many ways. I came to Barbados knowing not a soul and that Island. Facebook "friends" with some. I left having met and been befriended by so many. Their names and photos have been in this blog since the beginning of my trip and since leaving the I have been in contact with most on a daily basis. Friends....I came home so much richer than when I left.




Even thunder and lightening storms, are magnificent when viewed with the right frame of mind. The times I was soaked through and through were more numerous in 3 weeks than in the last three years...Aside from ruining two pairs of sneakers, didn't really bother me. Just tried to wipe the water from my eyes. Stood in the rain purposely to watch the revelers and bands march. As did countless hundreds others. With no thought of leaving 'cause of the rain. Loved every moment. Please Barbados don't let your Island go to the huge hotels and condos that block your views of all that is yours by right.

No excuses or accepting. Not in the least. Perhaps just seeing my great city through refreshed eyes. Maybe even got some perspective from the people I interacted with while away. Much less stressed now. Trying to keep what I have. Will it change and I go backwards? Don't know. Do understand me a little better now I think. Yes I know. Even agree. "About time".              


I was looking for somewhere to go that I could de-stress and enjoy life. Somewhere I would be comfortable traveling and staying by myself. Somewhere that would give me a new perspective, maybe even a new chance at life. I found it. My choice was perfect. 

Barbados

No comments:

Post a Comment