Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 2 and 3 - Make new friends, but keep the old..........


 A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it........



Great nights sleep....woke at 6:30...padded to my kitchen, and made a pot of coffee...took to terrace and listened to the day wake. Birds came to see the new lady...and sang to me. Nice start. Answered some email and had a few FB chats. What I left out last night was drama! I "lost" my phone. Panic total panic!..Then my internet went down for a few minutes....Hoped I had dropped it in Bobbi's car. Found Dawn online...mutual friend of Bobbi....she got a message to her..it was in Bobbi's car. Ahhhh can breath again...Internet returns. Back in the world.

Hi Zak


Then breakfast. There I met Zak. He is here from Nigeria...arrived yesterday...He knows no one here....and he is getting married! His bride to be and her family arrives tomorrow from Minnesota, USA. We chatted during our meal, then discovered we had the same camera..and an instant bond was formed. Took turns telling our life stories,



Invited him to join in the fun of Pan du Sand that my friends were taking me to late afternoon and evening. He agreed. Great time, listening to steel pan bands from all over the Caribbean...Bobbi, Wayne, E, and I. Found Ann adnd Margaret there too. Seems like I am starting to know people here!...:)

Even ran into a great FB(till now) friend Rude! Rude and I live in the same City in the US, but had to come here to actually meet.  Was happy to meet and see him. Recognized each other even in the crowd. Spent the afternoon and most of the evening enjoying the sights, sounds, and aromas that make up Pan du Sand. Was totally tired by the end of the evening. Sleep is so nice.

Much taller than on FB

Day 3
Spent some really lazy time at the pool...swam, floated, and finally found shade and ......slept. Like an innocent babe. Needed this. Heat is intense.

Got into real clothes and took the Blue Bus (label...To City) to Bridgetown. Blazing Sun turned to torrents of rain as soon as I sat. It took about 45 minutes to travel from St. Peter to Bridgetown. Rain again...Huge rain...I was literally soaked to the skin in about 3 minutes. Hair dripping down my neck...and it went on and on...Ducked into shops along the way ...didn't help...soaked...dripping, lost.

Needed on of these!


Really lost too!...People helped...its just over there....Where? There? Go left and go right. I may have told you folks this before...I have no sense of direction at all! Eventually got to my first destination the LIME phone shop. They gave me towels to dry off with. Business  done. Now to meet my friend...He called and said...just walk up the block. BLOCK! Not blockS....So again..wandered around, and  past the same man at least 3 times. He wanted to know if I liked him! If he could help me... became a land-mark for me!...Found my friend Brad and his friend Pamela finally! Happy me. Happy them. Dry and with people who know where they are. Thank you!

Pam had to leave for an appointment, she just wanted to meet me( think check me out for her friend in reality) so Brad (again virtual friend assumes a real body and voice) and I walked to another place and Banks was consumed.  Met the cutest little girl who gave me mango right off the tree. Brad put them in HIS bag and I never saw them again...guess he enjoyed them. Hmp! Truthfully, really happy to finally meet him. His descriptions of Barbados were a factor in my deciding to vacation here. One of the places we passed through was St. Margret's Church Yard. Want to go back there and explore some more. Love old gravestones, and religious houses are always of interest to me.Was great to finally see him after so much time being virtual! Time to meet up with Bobbi, Walked me over...so no getting lost (Yeah) to Bobbi's car.




Then on to Brown Sugar...To hear and MEET Terry Ricardo Arthur a great Pan artist and Willie Carr guitarist extraordinaire...Wonderful music, vibe, people....Wonderful (in retrospect) day, evening and night. Another great day in Paradise....

3 comments: