Monday, July 25, 2011

On the move and Soca Royale




Every exit is an entry somewhere.................

The time has come to leave the Hilton and move a short distance away to the Coral Sands Beach Resort. So packing again. In the middle of putting swimsuits in suitcase I put one on for a Ocean visit. The water feels especially good on my skin today..I look longingly at a beach chair in the sand , but not time for leisure right now. So back to room and packing.




A call to the CS and I know I can check in early. Bobbi comes to collect me and a short drive later we have arrived. This is a small Hotel right on the beach. There is a restaurant, bar and small pool as well as direct access to the beach. Jerry is at reception,  checks me in and comes to the room to show me the features. Very nice. Large room, full kitchen, AC,  lovely terrace overlooking the Ocean. Seems I will be comfortable at the very least here. Now that all my stuff is in the room it is time to drive again.






But first, there is a man selling coconuts by the road. Yes please! A few well placed wackes with a machete and I drink from the small opening created. When my drink is all down, he then wackes a few more times to open the nut so I can eat the jelly inside with a "spoon" he has fashioned from the out shell. New experience. Really delicious and fun to eat at the same time. Will be back for more another day I am sure. We go to get Wayne. We are late. He takes over the driving as Bobbi and I eat the omelets we picked up by the coconut man.




The whole day will be spent  at Soca Royale. This is the culmination of the Soca contests that have been going on through out  Barbados for months. It is held in Bushy Park, in St Phillip. We arrive around 3pm. It is blazing Sun, though it had rained hard here earlier.


A nice spot is found up the hill and under a tent. As usual I strategically place my chair for maximum shade.  On goes the Sunscreen, and a hat;  I am ready. The DJ and announcer keep us all entertained till the show begins. Once that happens everyone appears to be having a great time. Dancing all around, and all have an opinion about the singer, and presentation. Thee are 10 finalists. When the first round is over. The DJ comes out again, and the music is continuous and fun. We get some dinner and drinks at a vendor close by. We continue discussions about the performances. Everyone has a favorite it seems, and knows all the backgrounds.

Sky as Sun is setting is beautiful




  At 7 sharp the last round of the contest began.So many more people and the night is cool with a wonderful breeze. Even see people I know.  Sue and Barkley!  Music again great. Now as it is night there are pyrotechnics with almost every act. Fireworks and other affects. Some technical difficulties occur. I feel bad for those performers....How for them to wait or have to start again.





This has been a full day party! Music great!, people great, food good, weather great! I am happily tired and full of life at the same time. Thankfully I do not have to drive back. Wayne does a great job of getting us through impossibly crowded little roads, and on to the major road back to Worthing Beach Christ Church. Coral Sands. Now to unpack and get some sleep...Enjoyed the day very much. Thank you Bobbi and Wayne!

No comments:

Post a Comment